Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year

I was sitting here tonight thinking about the New Year fast approaching and looking back on the things that I have accomplished this year. For the first time in my life I have actually accomplished goals that I set. I have realized the power of plotting a course and I know the value of planning for a new year. There is great semblance in a new year. We all have set goals for losing weight or to quit smoking or to go some place exotic or to fire your boss. What is painfully true as well is how many of us before the goals are even set have the internal knowing that we will never stick to our word. It is doubtful in two weeks you would be able to tell me what your resolutions were for 2007, shoot many of you will be lucky to make it to Tuesday before your resolutions are changed, modified or just simply broken.

It saddens me to see so many people looking at their life with such despair and lack of faith in themselves. It is even more disappointing how many people live without the knowledge of how to create luck and live with deliberate intention.

I was struck with the previous thought while I was watching the funeral of Gerald Ford and was listening to what the speakers had to say about him. It is quite impressive to hear all the great things that can be said about a man at their funeral. In particular Dick Chaney said that Gerald Ford always believed in the saying “…you create your own luck”. WOW, I was stuck with this and I found myself listening to his eulogy and feeling the compulsion to learn more about President Ford.

In my teenage years I was board with history believing it was something for old people. Well I guess I have finally become one of those old people at 37 I have finally realized how much can be learned from studying great men and women.

Listen, before I get to far off track and begin a lecture let me get to my point. We are in a new year with new possibility and new dreams. Let me suggest to you that you look at 2007 from 12/31/2007.

What will you be able to say you accomplished? How would it feel for the first time to actually keep your word with yourself? Can you actually picture yourself one year from now having lost that 10 pounds, finding that perfect mate, quitting that job, taking that trip?

You may not know it now, but this is an opportunity for you to fulfill your dreams. Take this time and write down those New Years resolutions. Except this time see them not as those hard to reach goals, but accomplishments you are looking back on in reflection of the year. This is an essential element for creating your own luck.

Many people will tell you how to write goals and I would agree with many of the goal setting techniques out there. FACT: you can’t accomplish a goal if one is never set. The big trick you almost never hear is to put yourself in a place of actually accomplishing your goal. Live each day this year as a person who already has what they are seeking. If you do this and take it seriously I promise you will be amazed at the eulogy you will give for your past year and the luck you created.

No comments: